Image Map

Monday, March 25, 2013

Review of: The Pianist

A few weekends ago Mike and I made the commitment to watch the 2.5 hour movie The Pianist.  Check out the IMDB page here.  It is actually quite old, from 2002.  You wouldn't know by watching it, though.  This has been in our Netflix Instant Queue for a while, but since it was so long, we never chose it.  I am so glad we finally watched it.

It is an extremely powerful movie.  I got sick to my stomach a few times, and we had to take a break while watching it because I was so consumed that I needed to take a breath.  So, fair warning, it is graphic and intense.  I would suggest watching it with someone else and not alone.

The movie follows a famous pianist, Wladyslaw Szpilman, as he navigates through the German occupation of Poland during the Holocaust.  It is based on a true story, and I am a major sucker for non-fiction.  I have always been interested in the Holocaust and enjoy reading books about it as well.  The story covers several years and provides a heart wrenching story about Wlad's journey.  His family, the ghettos, working.  All of it is so interesting.  

Wlad is played by Adrien Brody, who happens to be a stud, and an absolutely fantastic actor in this movie (as well as others).  I cannot imagine the places he had to put his mind to get into character.  He is AMAZING in this movie!  
Photo from wodumedia.com
Although the movie is long, you never want it to end, and it doesn't drag on.  Personally, I was consumed in the story.  I think this may have hit me harder because I just visited the Holocaust Museum in Washington, D.C.  Mike and I talked a lot about the fact that the Holocaust was only 70 years ago.   When you think about that, it becomes really disturbing.  We talked about what we would have done in that situation, and honestly, I would have given up.  There is no way I would have been strong enough to survive.  Especially if my family was separated, children taken away, etc.  It is hard to believe there are survivors still alive today.  Few people can know their pain.  

I would highly suggest hunkering down (early) on a Saturday night with a friend and watching this movie.  Prepare to be moved.  And really try to take it all in.  Powerful stuff.  I cannot imagine going through anything like it.  (To connect with my last post...)

BE GRATEFUL.

No comments:

Post a Comment