So here are my random tips for cleaning:
1. I use Clorox Wipes for EVERYTHING. At lease once a day. You can get a 4 pack at Sam's Club for around $8. Insane. I'm on my second 4 pack since we moved in. (Weirdo.)
2. CLEAN YOUR VACUUM FILTER. I always take the vacuum apart and clean the bin/shake the filter. Today, I took the filter into pieces and shook the crap out of it. Disgusting. I had to open the garage door so I didn't choke. But it's like I have a whole new vacuum, and if you know me at all, you know that's exciting! It's practically bring the rugs up off the floor it's running so well. Also, we only have a tiny rabbit and I am always amazed by the amount of pet hair in the vacuum. Make sure to clean up after pets so you and they can be healthy and happy :)
3. Clean your bathroom floors on your hands and knees. My mom has done this forever, and it drove me crazy. When I moved out, all I wanted was a Swiffer Wet-Jet. To my dismay, I got a regular Swiffer. (This was years ago, by the way.) Needless to say, it sucks. And mops are just plain gross. The only way to get your floors actually clean is to get a rag/cleaning wipe (I sometimes even use the Clorox wipes from above) and get on your knees and clean. Trust me, you will be MUCH happier with the results.
4. Open your windows :) Although it may let a little dirt and dust in, the air smells amazing, it helps to get air flowing throughout your house, and it's just altogether a great feeling.
5. Shake your rugs out. I'm pretty sure everyone in our neighborhood thinks I'm a maid. Every weekend, I'm out on our front step shaking rugs like a madwoman. Honestly, I wish we had a clothesline so I could hang them and beat them with a stick. No joke. But seriously, vacuuming only does so much, and getting a little fresh air into them will be great.
6. Wash your trash can/bin. They get a lot of nasty buildup on them, have TONS of germs, and are sometimes smelly. This is another example where I use my Clorox Wipes!
7. Remember to replace your toilet brush, mops, broom, kitchen scrubbies, etc. more often than you think you should. Germs, germs, germs. And I'm not even a germaphobe, but cleaning your floors with a dirty mop, or cleaning your dishes with a dirty rag...what is that accomplishing? It's like they say to change your toothbrush every three months and no one ever does....change your cleaning products! Do it!
8. Clean your appliances. All of them. Products want to run in their ideal working conditions (just like people). Shake your toaster tray, clean your oven, sanitize your dishwasher and clothes washer, clean your garbage disposal, clean out your coffee maker/grinder, wash out your microwave, and on and on and on. This will help everything to work properly, saving you money and making you and your appliances happier (and help them live longer).
9. Febreze your closets. It gets a little extra freshness in there, and it all around good for your carpets and clothes. I also like to Febreze our guest room and our furniture. It makes it smell yummy and does a little cleaning in the meantime. Score!
10. Let your bed breathe! Don't make your bed the second you get out every day. Your bed needs to breathe, and your bedding, too. If you can let the sun shine on it to help kill some germs, do it! It makes it feel all that much more fresh. You don't have to do it every day, if that makes you crazy...but at least leave it unmade for a few hours on the weekend :)
Well that was a nice little lesson (more like a rant). Try them all, or ignore me and call me crazy. I hope your life can be a little cleaner, and let me know if you have any cleaning tips/vices, too!