Image Map

Monday, September 8, 2014

Can You: Wear Wedding Colors When You're Not in the Wedding Party?

When planning to attend weddings, I know I always get the bug to go shopping for a new dress.  It's the perfect excuse, right?  I'm not a person who shops colors by the season or the trend, I just look for something I like.  At a discount, of course!

I have a wedding coming up and stifled the urge to shop for a new dress.  So now I'm bound to shopping my closet for what I'm going to wear.  AND I'll obviously have to pick out what Mike will wear as well.  I currently have a dress in mind for its length and coverage...but it is in the same color palette as the wedding party. 

IS THAT ALLOWED?! 

Hubby was once "scolded" for wearing a dress shirt in the same theme as the wedding party.  I guess the thought never really crossed my mind?  So now I'm paranoid.  Of course, you don't always know the palette of a wedding before you attend, but if you happen to...should you avoid those colors?

The Knot:  Says there is no definite rule on this, but to ask the bride if you feel comfortable.  Commenters had mixed responses saying either it's no big deal or that it would upset them.

Wedding Bee:  Commenters on the board here seemed to have no problem with guest wearing the same color.

What do you think?  Please let me know what to wear!

BONUS:  Do you coordinate outfits with your significant other for more formal events??

:::UPDATE:::  I ended up wearing the dress that coordinated colors.  I didn't blend in too much because of the bridesmaid's jewelry and shawls.  It made for great pictures as well!  My tip:  if you are going to coordinate, make sure that your dress isn't too formal.  If you actually look like you're trying to be a bridesmaid, that might upset some people.  I think it's a good idea to keep the bride in mind.  If you think it will bother her, don't do it!

1 comment:

  1. I pretty much always try to coordinate if I know the colors. Just make sure it doesn't look like you're trying to be a bridesmaid. That's my rule of thumb. It makes for great pictures!

    ReplyDelete