Image Map

Sunday, March 23, 2014

Whole Wheat Belgian Waffles from SCRATCH!

Saturday morning I got the crazy idea/craving for homemade waffles.  I perused for 30 seconds for a base recipe and worked off of this one.  As usual, I was missing or didn't have enough of a few ingredients, but I'm getting better at making it work.

Necessary Tools/Equipment:

-3 bowls
-hand mixer
-waffle iron

And your ingredients, of course!

This is what I ended up using:

2 cups whole wheat flour
3/4 cup white sugar
3-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
2 eggs, separated
1 cup milk
3 Tbsp butter, melted
1 Tbsp vanilla extract
1 whole mashed banana (very ripe)
1/4 cup water

As you can see  if you checked out the base recipe, I had to improvise on a few things by adding the banana and water for a bit of liquid and flavor due to being short on milk.  I also used WAY LESS butter.  I do not regret it!  Adding banana to anything always makes it taste better and enhances the texture.

In a large bowl:  combine flour, sugar and baking powder.
In medium bowl: lightly beat egg yolks. Then add milk, butter and vanilla; mix well.
Slowly stir into dry ingredients until combined.
In a small bowl:  beat egg whites until stiff peaks form.  Slowly fold into batter, take your time!
This is when I added my mashed banana, followed by water.  It helped the batter to thin out.

Hack for separating eggs

Eggs whites, dry mixture, wet mixure

Beating the egg whites

Mashed banana

Final mixture

Berries!
Bake in a preheated waffle iron until golden brown. I let mine go for about 1 minute and 45 seconds.  I then served with an array of peanut butter, Nutella, strawberries, syrup, and coconut.  They tasted delicious and there were plenty for leftovers!!


Final product!
ENJOY!!

No comments:

Post a Comment