Image Map

Sunday, February 3, 2013

Baking Bowl


How have I spent my Superbowl Sunday?  I'm not a gigantic sports fan, so I occupied myself other ways.  I slept in, did the usual dishes/cleaning/etc, and watched James and the Giant Peach, have you watched that lately?!  Such a strange movie.  Mike and I also finished Season 3 of SoA finally.


On top of that, I've made a few goodies I've been wanting to try.  First:  Zucchini Tots, recipe found here.  Mine are more zucchini muffins, but they are delish!  And fairly healthy.  Nom nom.  They are easy to make, the most time consuming was shredding the zucchini!


2 cups zucchini, grated
2 egg 
1/4 yellow onion, diced
1/2 cup cheese (I used cheddar)
1/2 cup bread crumbs (I used Panko Lemon Pepper)
Salt and Pepper


  

1. Preheat oven to 400F. Spray a mini-muffin (I used a regular muffin pan) tin with non-stick spray, set aside.
2. Grate the zucchini and then place in a dish towel to squeeze out the excess water.  I used paper towels, and this is a NECESSARY step so they aren't soggy.
3. In a bowl combine, the egg, onion, cheese, bread crumbs, zucchini, salt and pepper.
4. Using a spoon, fill the muffin cups to the top. Bake for 15-18 minutes, or until the top is browned and set.

We also had a lot of pretzels around here.  We bought some in bulk a while back and have had a bag waiting to be enjoyed.  So I spruced them up and made Cinnamon Sugar Pretzels.  Also pretty tasty, and VERY easy to make!
1 (16 oz) bag pretzel twists
⅔ cup vegetable oil
½ cup sugar
2 tsp cinnamon

Preheat oven to 300 degrees. In a medium sized bowl mix together vegetable oil, cinnamon and sugar. Add pretzels and stir to coat. Place in oven and bake for 30 minutes, removing twice to stir.



Let cool!  They are super hot when they're done so resist the urge to taste!  I learned the hard way.

Lastly:  Adventures in Beef Tongue.  Not my decision.  I'm all about trying new foods, but this is one I have been avoiding.  We got a bunch of meat a while back from Mike's uncle.  Tongue included. Eck!  Mike had it in the crockpot all day and the thought of it just made me...uh, ick!  He made it into tacos.  I tried a piece from the pan, which I spit in the trash.  It doesn't TASTE badly, it's more so the texture...and the idea of it (mind over matter!).  You should at least try it if you can.  I tried a bite of his tacos he made with pico, I mean...it wasn't terrible.  But I am settling on waiting for fish to have fish tacos.  I have eaten a lot of weird meats, but I don't think I'll ever be having TONGUE again!!



I might be having cookies for dinner.



No comments:

Post a Comment