Image Map

Sunday, November 4, 2012

Attitude. You...Better.

This is a post I've been WAITING to write, but I held off a while so as not to start on such a heavy idea.  I have never been a person that has had a positive attitude.  Ever.  I am literally a person that will sit and count the bad or negative things that have happened recently.  And then say, oh this-this-this happened, life sucks.

NOT ANYMORE.

I also am a person that cannot stick to anything.  I can't stick to a schedule, diet, reading a book, etc.  But my new attitude is sticking!  I am getting better.  And it feels fabulous.

I have been trying to work on my attitude forever.  Sometimes Mike would even say, "Stop being so negative".  Something you never want to hear from your boyfriend/fiance/husband.  Having a negative attitude truly affects the people around you.  Now that I have "made the change" so to speak, I can SEE that I was that person bringing others down.

Who wants to be THAT PERSON?!

Not me.  And this is why I have finally FINALLY turned my attitude around. And it feels fabulous.  Seriously, I can really feel a change.  Mike has noticed, coworkers have noticed, friends have noticed.  And that is really satisfying.  I have finally stuck to something!!  Yay me!

Now, here is the version of positivity that has worked for me.  It's looking at things as though "they could be worse" and being thankful for what you do have.  While Lance Armstrong was going through all of this USADA drug doping allegations, his removal of all titles since 1998, and losing most of his endorsements, someone asked him how he was doing, and he said "I've been better, but I've been worse."  Wow, that's great!  That I can get on board with.

I tried the whole "think it to be true and it will come to you" and didn't have success, only lots of frustration.  So I have turned my frown upside down, literally.  If something gets messed up at work, I fix it, and move on.  I used to get very frustrated and complain at work, but it gets you NOWHERE.  It could always be worse, I mean, at least I have a job!  With friends and family, I do my mental venting and MOVE ON.  You can't change others, you can only change yourself and the way you choose to live.

Then I came across this article written by one of the actresses from Chasing Mavericks.  You can read it HERE.  She talks about facing fears, growing, and SHOWING UP.  Even when it's tough, when you have nothing left, when you're frustrated, when there's things holding you back...Show.  Up.

Show up.  LIVE.  We all have things to live for and be grateful for.  I have made a major change in the way I think about things and react.  Try it, it worked for me :)  And I am so much happier, healthier, and loving to others around me.

No comments:

Post a Comment