Image Map

Wednesday, November 18, 2015

How to Wear a Poncho


If you've been around here for very long, you know that I get a lot of hand-me-downs from my grandma.  You may think that's really strange, but she does a lot of her shopping at Pier1, so I have nothing to complain about!  Ha!  She also has a secret calling as an interior decorator.  Her house always looks immaculate and she is ridiculously talented at faux flower arrangements. A large portion of my home decor has come from her, or from my mom after she has gotten her own use out of it and passed it along.  

This is a fact my grandma made sure to point out when she came to see our new home for the first time a few weeks ago.  I have several vases, arrangements, baskets, etc. that came from her.  Every corner she turned with delight, not only because she liked our home, but because she was even more excited to see that I was getting use out of plenty of her items.  #upcyclewin
Not only do I get tons of home decor from her, I also get plenty of clothing items.  

CLOTHES FROM GRANDMA?!  

You definitely think I'm crazy now, right?!  One of my favorite items are my combat boots she bought in Norway.  She wore them for a year and then they came straight to me.  She bought them while visiting me in Norway, and they are full of all those memories.  I wear them all the time!  AND, I always get compliments on them.  Great taste, Grandma!
Instagram
I also loved this dress from her so much that it ended up ripping after a few years and I had to throw it away :(  Well loved!!

Bridgette's Weight Loss Journey HERE
The most recent item I received was while she was last visiting.  I took it out of the bag and kindly kept my mouth shut.  A PONCHO?!  Ew.  I am short, and have a large chest.  I NEVER thought a poncho would work for me.  She was adamant that I didn't have to take it, but I'm always willing to try, so I threw on the grey cable knit poncho and checked myself out.

Worn with colored denim
I was having a good hair day...and it was actually kind of cute!  After prancing around in it for a while, I decided I would keep it and add it to my wardrobe.  I even got to wear it to a baby shower that weekend.  It is SO comfy and warm.  Plus, it's a great way to cover up anything you need to...tummy, booty, etc.  My mom kept teasing me if I was ever going to take it off.  Maybe not!!

Worn with skinny jeans and ankle boots
HOW TO WEAR A PONCHO:

The general rules are to balance your body.  Something bulky on top with something fitted on the bottom.  So with a poncho, you will want to wear tighter jeans or leggings and a nice tee or long sleeved shirt underneath.  You can also go for a tighter skirt up to a midi length. You wouldn't want to wear a dolman top or tunic, or a larger maxi skirt...it will be too much fabric.   The idea is to contrast the flowing and bulky feel of a poncho by keeping everything else wrapped up!

Via
Also, make the rest of your outfit opposite or compliment of the design of the poncho.  If you have a bright printed poncho, you might want to wear a white top underneath.  If you are wearing a  solid poncho, you could wear a printed/striped top underneath or even some colored denim.  Since you are wearing a large statement piece, make sure your other pieces work together and are not too bold.

Via
As for shoes, you can wear anything from a flat to a knee high boot.  This will depend on the size of your poncho and wear it hits you on your body.  If you have a huge poncho that goes past your knees, a tall boot probably isn't the best fit.  If you have a poncho that just covers your upper body, a tall boot would be just fine!  And if you're like me, you've always got your trusty flats.

Via
Realistically, there are TONS of ways to wear a poncho.  You can even break the rules and STILL look great!  I am definitely not a fashion expert, but can provide a little advice by stepping in to new territory myself.  Ponchos are so comfy-cozy and a fun way to change up your wardrobe.  The best part is they are office, party, and shopping appropriate.  You can wear these anywhere and look totally fashionable!

What's your best recent clothing find?  Do you have a poncho?  Let me know what you think of my new addition!!

post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment