Image Map

Monday, May 5, 2014

Will You Be A Good Parent?

Yesterday, I had a conversation with a friend that morphed into the topic of parenting.  Although neither of us are parents, we sometimes feel the pressure and wondered what we will be like when we do have kids. 

I sometimes find myself reading mommy blogs, simply to see what's out there and what people have to say.  I have to admit, it's INTIMIDATING.  Do this, do that, homeschool, independence, attachment, etc. etc.  Sometimes it freaks me out just thinking about it!  And I'm not even expecting! 

But let's be honest, by the time I'm having children, I'm sure there will be plenty of new parenting fads to bombard and intimidate me. 

The reality is, you can prepare-prepare-prepare, but you'll never know what to do until you're in the middle of it all.  Yes, prepare yourself and be knowledgable, but also, follow your heart and learn as you go.  As I always try to remember... "the best laid plans of mice and men often go awry".

I'm quite positive my parents never read a parenting book.  But they successfully raised three kids with a nine year age difference and all of us are alive and well.  Sometimes I feel like there's almost TOO MUCH available to moms these days and maybe going back to the basics would mellow everyone out. 

Yes, I got grounded.  No, I didn't get an allowance.  My mom did the laundry, I cleaned my room.  We played outside, my brothers teased me, we shared halloween costumes, and ate meat and potatoes.  Nothing extreme, nothing over the top.  Just kids growing up in the country. 

And we're all fine.  No, we don't all have master's degrees or own our own companies.  But we are each happy where we landed, and isn't that what counts?  For me, my life goal isn't to be "successful", it is to be HAPPY. 

Your sixth grader doesn't need to be playing varsity sports, and your violinist doesn't need to be playing in the state orchestra.  Let kids be kids.  PLAY.  We all have time to "be the best" and grow up, but we only have a small amount of time to be young.  We can never go back to that. 

I can't wait to be a parent and learn everything about it.  But for now, I'm going to take my own advice and ENJOY being young!

***This is not parenting advice or criticism.  Just a few thoughts I wanted to write down for myself and for discussion***

No comments:

Post a Comment