Image Map

Monday, November 11, 2013

Unintentional Veteran's Day Post

This past weekend we went to my parent's place for a few days.  My parents got married in 1980 and have lived in the same house ever since.  Every bit of my childhood memories still lie in that house. Sometimes they are great memories, some hard, some hilarious.  Each of those came back to me this weekend.

Saturday morning I woke up after having a dream about my brother's friend who was practically my brother.  I have so many memories of him being at our house growing up.  Some of them are so vivid.  I can remember what he is wearing and what he said to me as his little sis.  These are true memories, because he is no longer with us.  I told my mom I dreamt of him and she could feel my heart hurting.

That afternoon, we went to the cemetery to visit him.  I used to go see him quite often when I was younger, but I haven't made the trip out there in a few years.  I remembered exactly where he was after all these years and walked right up to him.  It was windy and cold, blowing bitter air in our faces. After saying a few words, the clouds split out of nowhere and the sun came shining through, warm and bright.

We said, "Okay, we see you, David."  It was pretty obvious that he was there saying, "I'm still looking over you two women!"  I can't help but think that he came to me in my dream to reassure me through this awful month I've been having.  I have been really down and depressed, and knowing he went through even harder times, I think he visited to say "Come on little sister, things aren't that bad, and if they are, I'll always be here".

If you know me, you know I'm not a super religious person.  But I have my relationships, and my own way of understanding faith and the way it works for me.  This is a perfect example.

Then I realized today is Veteran's Day.  David was a Veteran Marine.  His birthday was last week.

What a perfect little circle this weekend has brought me.

I'm going to push through this mountain of bull* that has been haunting me lately and remember that my big bad David has always got my back.

Thank you everyone, for your service.  And thank you David, for always having my back.  I hear you!

No comments:

Post a Comment