Image Map

Sunday, August 11, 2013

Cookies for Breakfast {Chocolate Chip Oatmeal Pancakes}

Yesterday we had cookies for breakfast.  Or at least it tasted like it!  We had chocolate chip oatmeal pancakes.  Which were actually pretty healthy.  No sugar, whole wheat flour, and no syrup needed.

My base recipe can be found here.

These are very easy to make.  I would say this makes enough for one person, or two people if you are also eating something else.  This made 3 medium pancakes for us, about softball size.  We split them and then had eggs as well.  If you are hungry/feeding more people, I would suggest doubling the recipe.

Ingredients:

1 very ripe medium banana  (I used a large, ripe banana)
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 flax egg (1 Tbsp flaxseed meal + 2.5 Tbsp water)  **I will explain this soon**
Pinch salt
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 Tablespoon almond butter  (I used peanut butter)
1 Tablespoon canola oil (I used coconut oil)
3 Tablespoons almond milk (or other milk)
1/2 cup rolled oats (or gluten free oats)
1/4 cup whole wheat flour
3 Tablespoons semisweet chocolate chips

FIRST:  Make your flaxseed egg.  WHAT THE HECK IS A FLAXSEED EGG?  It's a handmade egg substitute.  I got my start here.  I put 1 tbsp milled flax with just under 3 tbsp of water.  Stir, and put in fridge for about 15 minutes.  It will thicken in consistency and be much better binding for your pancakes.
This is the finished product
...Once that is finished, start with your actual recipe.

1.  Mash banana with your baking powder.  It gets sort of fizzy and weird.  Have no fear!


2.  Add your flax egg, oil, salt, vanilla, almond butter, almond milk and stir.

3.  Lightly stir in oats and flour.

4.  Gently fold in chocolate chips.


5.  Place on griddle and cook for 2-4 minutes on each side.


They take quite a while to cook.  Make sure your pan is not too hot.   Then...

ENJOY!!!  They are delicious!  


Next time, I will add cinnamon {ifreakinglovecinnamon}, maybe some more PB, and definitely double the recipe so we have more to enjoy.  This would be an easy thing to freeze and take to work for breakfast.  YUMM!!

Quick, easy, fairly healthy...just the way I like it!  And I happen to love pancakes.  
WIN!

No comments:

Post a Comment