Image Map

Monday, April 13, 2015

Austin City Limits Taping - The War on Drugs

Remember recently when I won passes to an Austin City Limits taping for Sturgill Simpson?  I was so impressed by the venue, I knew I had to go back as soon as possible.  Luckily, they had another awesome band, The War on Drugs, on the schedule.  This is another band Mike enjoys, and since he had to miss the last amazing show, I told him I'd wait in line to try to get us "space available" tickets. 

I headed the two blocks over from my work after I had finished for the day.  There was only one person in line.  Score!  I sat down on the sidewalk like a vagrant and claimed my spot.  I kept busy with reading and cell-phone-mongering until Mike made it in to downtown.  He arrived bearing the gifts of dinner and a change of clothes.  Bragging moment:  hubby remembered to bring socks for my boots and a camisole.  He rocks.  I scooted back to work to change and then scarfed down my not-so-great sandwich. 


We still had a while to wait, but people watching helped to pass the time.  Austin has lots of individuals who love to experiment with style.  That's my nice way of saying that I had a good laugh at the outfits that walked by :) 

After waiting over three hours, the bundles of wristbands came around the corner.  We were at the head of the line and were so excited to be let right in!  A volunteer snagged us some spots on the side of the stage.  We could see everything that was going on and it was great!  Unfortunately, they don't allow any pictures during the show, so I only have some set pictures.


The War on Drugs were fantastic.  A six person band is a feat, and they managed to rock.  Plus, I'm always a fan when there is a little something extra, like some brass or strings.  So much talent.  I so glad we got to see them finally!  This band is quite the group.  I just love seeing what people wear to perform in, and how ridiculous their moves get sometimes.

And for a funny - I've deciphered that bassists don't know what to do with their legs, and drummers don't know what to do with their faces.   Oh, live music.  I love it! 


As for the venue, I cannot stress enough how amazing it is.  Try to catch a show if you're in Austin.  In fact, I've just taken in three shows in a week.  Eek!  For the tapings, they keep it nice and cool and the lights are up a bit since they are filming.  It's also pretty quiet in there.  People don't get as rowdy because it's a taping (and for Sturgill Simpson, it was live streaming as well).  It's a bit different, but I won't complain! 


Just so you know, they have a medium sized floor space as well as a mezzanine and balcony.  You can see well from the seats anywhere, as the venue is pretty small.  I was in the balcony for Punch Brothers and the view was great.  Note that for shows that are not tapings, there will be no seats on the floor - it is all GA standing space.  I only wish they put the stage up a little higher so that the view from the floor was better.  For a shorty like me, standing room is hard! 

As for the rest of the venue, I only have good things to say.  They have a huge "music porch" area when you get in that has a bunch of space to hang around and relax before the show.  The bathrooms are large.  They have plenty of bars and they aren't super overpriced.  They have a little art show on the top floor with some amazing photography.  They have speakers outside of the main room so you can still hear everything that's going on when you take a drink or restroom break.  They have open staircases on the outside in case you need some fresh air.  The chairs are comfortable.  And thankfully, I haven't had to deal with lines too much! 

All in all, my experiences at ACL Live at the Moody Theater have been exceptional.  I would highly recommend this venue, and if there's someone you really want to see for a taping, it's worth the wait!  
 
 
post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment