Image Map

Thursday, May 30, 2013

Living

Someone asked me a few weeks ago what my blog is about.  I answered with something like "what I do on weekends, and my occasional blunt rants about how people should live their lives".  I love blogging, but I don't like to talk about it., 'sweird.  I know sometimes it gets boring, but every once in a while I will slam dunk a post and know that lots of people are thinking about the way they live day to day.  My post on Loss (found here) was a big hit, for example.  And apparently my post yesterday did the same.  I received a message from an old friend from my hometown.

I am going to share it because it almost brought me to tears (more on that later) and it just made me feel good:

Hi Natalie, 
I know this email comes out of nowhere, but I wanted to tell you that I love your blog. I have been doing a lot of revaluation of my life (regarding the people who are in it, the ones who are gone and the ones who are no longer part of my life) and I just want to say that you are a wonderful young lady. Seeing you as the "little one" my brother picked on to what you have grown up to be, you are an inspiration. I truly love reading about your take on life and I just wanted to say thank you for writing your blog. 
That made my week.  I like to think my blunt ideas sometimes do some good.  My life isn't perfect by any means, but I am really making an effort to LIVE well.  I want the people around me to enjoy my company and I want others to live happy, too.  I'll try to help you get there.

A good friend has been going through a lot of crap over the last 6 months/year.  I am the friend that always listens and tries to cheer her up.  She sometimes comes to me for my blunt advice, which I dole out at appropriate intervals :)  After some health and life changes, she has come back into her own.  It is so fantastic to have her back.  Well and good.  The real her.  We help each other through a lot, and I know that she will be there the next time I fall off the wagon.  

One thing I shared with her this week (stolen from another friend's FB status) was "Surround yourself only with those who make you feel better."  Please, stop wasting time with "friends" and family who suck the life out of you.  You don't owe anyone anything, and there are no obligations in life.  I never feel obligated to someone, especially if they don't understand how a real relationship works.  Everything goes two way, my friends.  

I have really become a believer of "energy".  I can feel the energy in a room and will often leave or re-position myself based on the people's energy.  I don't want your negativity near me!  I'm not one of those crazies, but I only want positive people near me.  And I am CHOOSING to keep people out of my life because of that.  

Live your life for you.  

Back to the reason I teared up about the message I got above...  The brother she refers to is no longer with us.  I think about him way too often and miss him so much.  It has been seven years already and I will never forget my mom holding me to my bed because I was crying and so distraught.  He was like a brother to me, and the song played at his funeral still makes me cry.  I would give up a lot of things to have his positive, loving energy back in my life.  He always had a gigantic smile on his face and gave the best hugs!  These are the types of people I want in my life, and I won't let negative people take up their space.

I want to live life for him, for others, for those who don't get the choice to.  

Let's get living, people!

1 comment: