Image Map

Monday, November 12, 2012

Piggyback Couseling

I got a lot of great feedback on my Positivity post, which is great, because I have more to share!  I've been helping a few friends through some hard times lately.  I have always considered myself a person who gives good advice (even though, as you all know, it's SO hard to take your own advice at times).


So here are my tips and thoughts :)  How have I gotten to this positive attitude after so long?  Two things are my new mantra:  It could be worse, and Let it go.  Those two phrases are getting me through pretty much everything right now, it works, I promise!  The first part I talked a lot about in my last post.  The very situation that you are in that is upsetting you/ruining your LIFE...could be worse.  Always.  This applies to your money situation, friend situation, work frustrations, ev.er.y.thing.  The second part is something more recent for me.  I have always been a person who is too empathetic and takes other people's problems into my realm and lets them eat me up.  I let THINGS I CAN'T CHANGE upset me.  WHY??  That doesn't make sense people, come on.  I know others do that, too.  It's crazy!

Now, I'm all for changing yourself and becoming a better person.  Trying new things, meeting new people.  It's a great thing.  Keeps you interesting and interested.  There are always new things to see and learn.  BUT there is change that I am against.  I cannot stand when people change themselves for others!  I admit, I act a bit different depending if I am with my high school friends (Katie, I just shit myself) or college friends (OMG I can't believe we stayed up until 5am taking shots), but I am still ME.  I am 23 years old and have a good idea of who I am.  Why would I change that for "friends"?  If you do not like the way that I am, then move on.  Let it go.  Let them go.  People need to accept YOU and you should not have to censor or change yourself to be with them.  I really feel like this is an issue for a lot of people I know.  It's time to make that change.  A good change.  The right change.

You should not have to work to have fun with or trust your friends.  It shouldn't be an effort.  Just be you.  The only effort I have been making with my friends is to see them more.  And I hope they are noticing.  I've been driving around the state and around the twin cities.  And it is SO WORTH IT.  Now is our time to have fun and be us, without school/kids/blah in the way.  We are not as busy as we all think we are, come on!  There is always time for good conversation with friends and I am hoping my friends and your friends will take the path of making time for the ones who are important to you.  And deciding who is not worth that effort.  It's time to stop dragging old friends along just because you've been friends forever or whatever stupid reason you use to validate it.  Not worth it.  Be smart and decide who is worth it to you.

Who is worth it to you??

No comments:

Post a Comment